sobota, 07. februar 2015

Panic attacks


This topic is very personal for me; however I decided to write about it because I realized that a lot of people don't know this disorder- even though it is actually not that rare.

What are panic attack
s? Panic attacks (or less commonly anxiety attacks) are periods of intense fear or apprehension of sudden onset accompanied by at least four or more bodily or cognitive symptoms (i.e. heart palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, or feelings of unreality) and of variable duration from minutes to hours. Panic attacks usually begin abruptly, may reach a peak within 10 to 20 minutes, but may continue for hours in some cases. (Thank you Google)

I had my first panic attack when I was 14. I got it
at school in the middle of the school break. I started to feel a little bit weird in the classroom. I couldn't breathe properly. I got scared and I started sweating. I tried to find my class teacher but in the hall there were even more students and I started to feel anxious; it felt like I couldn't find a way to get out of the crowd. Then I started breathing a lot quicker and stared shaking. I felt like I was far away from other people, so I couldn't hear them properly. Luckily my friend took me to my class teacher who knew what was happening and took me to her cabinet, opened the window and gave me a paper bag to breathe into. When I calmed down she told me what had just happened and afterwards I waited with my best friend for the next lesson.

After that incidence panic attacks were quite rare until January 2014 when my grandma died. I was very close to her so her sudden death shocked me. Panic attacks became appearing more often and sometimes they lasted even 30-40 minutes. I also became more anxious. Sometimes I didn't want to get out of the house because I was scared that I
was going to get a panic attack in public. That was until June when I realized that I don't want to spend my teenage years like that. I realized that this disorder was starting to control my life and that I actually should be the one who controls it. I challenged myself that through the year 2014 I would never stay home alone and encouraged myself to try something new every week. Of course panic attacks didn't completely fade away. However, they didn’t appear as often as they used to.

In December the panic attacks got a lot worse and they became unbearable. So I spent a lot of time in hospital. I think it was because I was severely stressed out and I just couldn't take the pressure.

When I came from the hospital I took some time for myself and started visiting
a therapist. I also spent a lot of time with my friends and family. Even though I'm still not completely well I didn't let myself get isolated from the others and that's what I'm most proud of.

Now that I explained panic attacks I would like
to suggest what to do if:
1. you also have problems with panic attacks
2. you know or
have met someone who's got panic attacks

1. If you star
t to feel *panicky* just try to get out of a closed space that you're in and try to get some fresh air, because that helps if you're starting to get hot. Try to calm your breathing: try to breathe in and count to three and then breath out (I know it's hard but you can at least try). In any case it's good to have someone around because it also happened to me that I had stopped breathing.

2. If your friend
feels like the panic attack is coming just try to divert their attention. If he/she is already shaking just try talk to him/her, encourage him/her and just tell him/her that everything is going to be alright. The most important thing is that you just stay calm and don't try to cause any additional chaos because that is the last thing that the person having a panic attack needs.

Well, I think that this should be enough for my first panic attack related post. Perhaps some time in the future it will help someone, who's got the same problems. Soon, I'm going to write a similar post because this is also good therapy for me (sorry about that). So if you've got
any
questions just let me know in the comments.
See you soon
Lala

Edited by: Veronika Pučko

P.S: Also I made my own Facebook page, I would really appreciate if you go check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lalas-Blog/1514463642176271?notif_t=page_user_activity

12 komentarjev:

  1. Beautiful! kisses!

    http://miestilobasico.blogspot.com

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. You are really brave to write about such a personal topic, but I am sure you are going to help others who experience the same. Hugs!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Thank you so much, that just made my day.

      Izbriši
  3. Thanks for sharing your personal experience!!! Interesting post doll!!
    xo Paola
    Expressyourself
    My Facebook

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Looking so cute!

    Would you like to follow each other ?

    Kisses

    Emily from PTT

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Odgovori
    1. Thank you, I'm a bit obsessed with flower crowns.

      Izbriši
  6. I get panic attacks a lot as well. Sometimes I could get them almost every day for a week or here and there. I don't get it and I never know when they will appear so it is the worst. I started getting mine years ago and they seem to get worse as I got older (at least for me) I learned to deal with it, I usually need to talk to someone so it takes me mind off of it (i normally don't tell people I am going through it so listening to them talk calms me down without them even knowing) or just sit by myself until it is over.
    Sorry to hear about your Grandma xx

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Today was actually a really bad day for me because I had 5 panic attack in a row and one lasted almost 30 minutes so now I'm really exhausted. But this just made me smile because it's good to know that someone understands how I feel. Also it's interesting to hear other ways to get calm but mine panic attacks are really bad so most of the time people notice it or they think that I have asthma attack or even epilepsy attack.
      Also thank you for your concern.x

      Izbriši